• Alberta Beach History

    In 1912 the Alberta Northern Rail built the railroad to what is now Alberta Beach.  Being close to Edmonton, and having a sandy beach and warm, shallow water, it became a popular summertime destination.  A special frame station was erected in 1917 and a 16 foot wide board walk stretched from the station platform, west towards town and down the street to the beach and a bathers’ dressing room and pier. 

    The CNR announced travel excursions to Alberta Beach during July and August and charged
    $1.10 per round trip.  These charters were very popular and a cookhouse and large clearing adjacent to the station was made available for public picnics, baseball games and other sports.

    In 1929, the railway constructed more entertainment facilities for the visitors to enjoy, including a 950 foot walking pier, a dance pavilion and a campground which is still used today.

    In 1936, the railway stopped running trains to Alberta Beach and the pier was taken over by the federal government.  The dancehall was leased out yearly to various individuals/bands and in 1965, the facility burnt down.

    In 1999, the federal government divested themselves of all piers across Canada and in 2011 our pier was demolished.  The top deck planks were installed as a boardwalk around the museum and plaques to commemorate families and loved ones can be purchased and mounted on them.    In 1936 the railway station was bought and moved to a local farm.   In 2007, the Society was able to buy it back and restore it.  It is fitting that the building that saw so many people come to the Summer Village of Alberta Beach should sit only a few hundred feet from its’ original location and become the focus in the Alberta Beach Museum.

    See Historical Pictures of Alberta Beach at:  www.communitystories.ca - All Aboard!  Next Stop Alberta Beach

Upcoming Events

21 May
2022 Season Opens
Date 21.05.2022